January 17, 2006

Why they gotta mess with shit?

As if it's not hard enough to win the lottery, fortune cookies felt they had to make Their contribution to the probability-fuck as well.

Now, when I get a fortune cookie, on the back of the fortune (Who knows, maybe it's the front?) is a string of 6 numbers that fall within the range of 1-49.

Our local lottery is called the 6/49 because it follows this numerical format. Get 6 numbers between 1 and 49 correct and YOU WIN!!

But NAU! NOW I have to calculate the probability that a fortune cookie with the correct numbers will connect with me out of all the other people consuming fortune cookies TIMES the likelihood that any set of 6/49 numbers will win, TIMES the likelihood that a fortune cookie with the right numbers will be deployed in time for the lottery coming up TIMES the likelihood that I'll even get a fortune cookie TIMES god knows what else!! I don't even play the lottery! ..but I used to, and I was thinking of starting again. Damnit.

Jordan sometimes says I drink too much coffee. I don't know what he means.

10 15 18 21 31 45 - Greater success is in the days ahead.

4 Comments:

Blogger Speed Seeker said...

Don't forget to include how many sets of numbers you play per ticket and how many times you play per week.

Could increase your odds a bit.

Probably not by much though...hehe

17/1/06 15:09  
Blogger shes_a_sprite said...

Yeah but what would you do if you did win the lottery??? I think it may be worth all that caculation, no? And isn't there supposed to be something magical about fortune cookies? or lucky?

18/1/06 10:37  
Blogger Seenie said...

WHY CAN'T I WIN THE LOTTERY??? Sigh. The most i've ever won was 100 bucks on a scratch and win. Considering I was 14 when I purchased the ticket thats pretty good. Love you bunches P! :>)

19/1/06 10:59  
Blogger Unknown said...

I gave up on the lottery a long time ago, my numbers never come up. I have better luck and more fun on the horsey races!

20/1/06 14:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home