February 07, 2006

What are the odds?!?!

So I'm working today at my terminal, where I really work, when I see my phone start flashing.
There was a voice message from a number I didn't know.

I listen to the voice message and it goes like this:
"Hi Patrick. It's Dawn calling from Superstore. I was wondering if you could come in to work from 5-9 tonight. Give me a call at [this number]"

Wha?
I don't work at Superstore.
At least, I don't think I do.


It's funny, because I've been rolling the idea around in my head lately of getting another part time job for the evenings. So here I am thinking maybe someone I know that works there referred me to them. In fact, at that point, I was almost positive it was her given that she knew I was thinking of getting a 2nd job. I contact this person I know and it turns out that no, she did not refer me. Coupled with the fact that I've never applied there, this was really strange. I mean, she knew my name. She called me Patrick. The fact that she wanted me for an evening shift meant she probly knew I worked in the daytime. She must have meant to call me, right?

I try calling back but Dawn isn't around.
I wait until after work and I visit Superstore seeking Dawn out. The door person pages her, gives her my name, and soon a figure appears. She's looking at me and looking around kinda confused.

"Are you looking for me?" Dawn asks.
"Yes. I'm Patrick. You called me today."
"I did?!"
"Yeah. You wanted to know if I could work from 5-9 tonight."
Her eyes say it all. She has no clue what's happened. She tells me to wait there and she goes off to retrieve a binder. There, in the binder, is my phone number written in ink.

She explains that she tried to reach one of her employees, named Patrick of all things, but was told by Patrick's father at the number she called that he no longer lived there. Patrick's father was kind enough to provide her with Patrick's cel phone number. Right name, wrong person. Fantastically, of all the wrong phone numbers of all the people with different names than me that he could have given her, he gave her mine.

"So you mean I don't work here?!" I exclaimed with mock dismay.

She then asked me if I wanted to work there. "This could be fate," she added.

I considered it. I then told her I'd consider it.

She provided me with an application and wrote "Attn: Dawn" on it and sent me on my way.

So, after all those odds, what are the odds I'll get a job there if I apply? (Please note: I was wearing business attire when I visited her.) I dunno what you think, but sumpin' tells me 1:1.

I think I should apply, if only for the reason to meet this other Patrick and settle once and for all that "I'M PATRICK!!"
Who knows, maybe I'll get his ass fired too lol!

Dawn: Sorry, Patrick. We have a new Patrick. When his father gives out this phone number to reach Patrick, he does so correctly. Your father does not. It's probably bad genes or something, but we don't care. You're Donald Trumped kiddo.





It's really cool being me.

11 Comments:

Blogger Seenie said...

Wild! Apply and go forth the true I'M PATRICK!

7/2/06 15:43  
Blogger Seenie said...

PS. SHOPLIFT ME A LOBSTER! We can have it for Valentines dinner! XO

7/2/06 15:46  
Blogger Speed Seeker said...

Sweet...I'd say the odds would be in your favor if she takes into account on what you all did from a message left on your phone, and you knowing that you in fact didn't work there but were curious to find out. Go for it.

And yeah...Get me some Lobster too...lol

7/2/06 18:53  
Blogger Infinigeist said...

Everybody and their lobster...

"Hi! I'm Patrick. Thank you for hiring me here. A couple things. First, do not read my blog. Second, do not count your lobster."

7/2/06 22:19  
Blogger Unknown said...

dude, thats crazy/funny.
but, a second job? what about time for gaming?

8/2/06 05:20  
Blogger Infinigeist said...

You're right Marcel
Thanks for straightening me out!
Whew! What a crazy idea!

8/2/06 07:08  
Blogger Jon Thomsen said...

yah....

gaming > life :P


also, meat is murder

8/2/06 08:57  
Blogger shes_a_sprite said...

hmmm, nothing cool like that ever happens in my life... I think it is a good idea to apply with them, I mean afterall you have made a great first impression! who knows, maybe there is such a thing as fate!

8/2/06 09:16  
Blogger trixi said...

Once, when I was a teenager, I called a wrong number (by mistake) and asked for Mom. "Dad" said she was just out back in the pool. We didn't have a pool. Apparently "Dad" didn't talk to his kids on the phone much. um... that's nothing like your story... ahem ..sorry

9/2/06 20:25  
Blogger Infinigeist said...

Yeah, well, it's been a few days and I haven't applied. I'ma backburner the app for a lil bit. I took the week after next off work, so I'll time my application with my "return" to the workforce.

10/2/06 21:52  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL That's pretty funneh! Working two jobs would be no fun (imo) but I'd say you have a pretty good chance so go for it. ;)

13/2/06 08:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home