December 11, 2006

Cupid Wins

Earlier today a judge ruled in the Canadian Court that "Cupid wins".

Not a word of a lie.

I was summoned for jury duty and had to go into the court today along with about 150 other ppl. We're all jam packed in there and they're pulling names out of a box to select prospective jurors. After 12 prospectives are lined up, the juror's either submit a reason to the judge why they should be excused or they are reviewed by the crown and defence counsels. If they're reviewed, each counsel either says "content" or "challenge". If a juror is challenged they are excused. If both counsels say they are content, a juror is chosen.

My name was pulled from the box in the 2nd wave after about 4 jurors had been selected. When I was called, I asked to address the judge.

"Your honor, I can't serve because my girlfriend will be flying here from New Jersey for a brief visit before the trial will be over."
The judge looked at me blankly.
"It's the result of over 2 months of planning," I added.
He then turns to the 2 counsels and says "Well, Cupid wins, hey?" We all had a little laugh, the counsels nodded, and I was sent to the corner to await final dismissal.

I hope you're happy, Emma. The Canadian judicial system has decided our time together is more important than my participation on a jury. <3

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww!! that was nice of them.. usually personal lives dont matter when it comes to jury duty, except weddings(if you are getting married) or if thats about the time you or your spouse is due to pop out a baby,, :)
you are lucky :)

12/12/06 08:10  
Blogger Infinigeist said...

Actually, the slip said something about jurors being excused for concrete vacation plans... So I'm thinking that's the wire I slid under.

12/12/06 18:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwe Baby! I know how much you were looking forward to serving on the jury. Maybe I can make it up to you? *mwah*

13/12/06 14:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome. I guess they were in the Christmas spirit. I hope you have a good time with your Girlfriend!

16/12/06 21:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home