January 30, 2007

Rockwell/Vance season record 1-1

Played badminton for the first time tonight, finally. My feet are getting toughened up from the hours standing, walking, and lifting at my job. They still kinda hurt a bit after work, but I can tell it's only a couple more weeks at most til I feel no pain at all. The first week was hell. At least my boss is nice and let me wear my court shoes, contrary to dress code, for the first week.

Anyways, badminton was pretty good. I walked on when I first got there, Jon hadn't shown up yet, and I was pulled into a game. I then broke the news to my partner (all doubles play) that it was my first time playing badminton. He looked a little reluctant at first, lol, but he was patient and kindof explained the rules. I made all the mistakes I could and there were a lot of laughs. My two-handed backhand really cracked them up. "Tennis" I explained. I kept starting to go to the back of the court to serve and then remembering I could serve from midcourt. Naturally, we had our asses handed to us, but it felt good to win the next game when I partnered up with Jon, and to give the next couple of opponents a close game. Then Jon played with some other people and I had to face off with the pros and once again looked the part of a fish out of water. Someone cracked they could tell I was a tennis player when I pulled a birdie out of my pocket, lol. I'm looking forward to going again and having that to do 2 nights a week til tennis starts up.

One of the ladies made a screwed up face when I mentioned I'd stop badminton as soon as I could get on the tennis courts. She was only thinking about the fact that badminton happens at night and tennis in the day, but I don't want to cross my wires when I start in hard to the tennis this year. I kept trying to put spin on my shots tonight. Kinda hard to get topspin on a birdie, or a slice overhead smash. On a positive note, some of my best shots were mishits. You can really hear the metal when the birdie hits the edge. People are like "good shot" but you know they know.
or do they?..

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds like you had a good time! I haven't played badminton since high school. Have fun!

31/1/07 02:27  
Blogger Mecca said...

I hate balls/birdies flying at my head. I'm gonna start with the wall. It'll be safer that way me thinks mew!

31/1/07 06:51  
Blogger dustix said...

SHUTTLECOCK

31/1/07 16:53  
Blogger Infinigeist said...

Haha. Can't play badminton against a wall)

Dustin hates birdies and loves words he can subtract 'shuttle' from...

1/2/07 17:22  
Blogger darlbot said...

Well, yea, they say "good shot" when they mean `a product of your action was a good result', only because `good result' is kind of awkward.

And don't let bug you about your shots. When I need to hit from my backhand from rear court to rear court I have this bizarre swing. Just last time Paul was like "I don't know how you can hit it like that," in his english accent (I bet it's manufactured!). But, meh, it works.

I mean to say, keep two-handin' the bitch. We'll call it two-hand tuesdays.

3/2/07 15:55  
Blogger Infinigeist said...

As long as I know you got my back hehe, I'll two-hand ANYTHING. No wait, not squirrels.

3/2/07 17:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home